Monday, January 16, 2006

What is Your Strength?

I have been asked several time this question, mostly in interviews. Recently I was asked by my manager on my first day of joining. Every time, I have bluffed some thing and escaped the situation.( I don’t know I have convinced them or not) . So, I have to find a convincing answer for this question….

Now let us come to the question. What is your strength? Let us not get into the definition of strength. With Commonsense, Not only the term “Strength” but also the purpose of the question is also understood broadly. So, forget the Oxford definition for strength.

I came to know from a HR guy that the purpose of asking this question is to find out how one knows about oneself. Should I know about me? Yes. The world says. But, to what extent it will be right. Sometimes I may think in someway about me, but others may not think in the same way … vice versa… Who is right? Is it me or others? or both.

With all this confusion, I started introspecting myself to identify my strength. Strength could be of in-born quality or from repeated practices. I have to identify that special quality/Skill/behaviour which is going to make me successful in life.

A lot of things started running into my mind like I am studious, I am hard working, I am disciplined, I am honest, I am aspiring,… the list is endless…

But I could not say all the above with 100 % assurance. Because, I am not always studious, I am not always disciplined, I am not always honest, and I am not always aspiring. ..

But majority of the times I am studious, I am hard working, I am disciplined, I am honest and I am aspiring….

So Studiousness, Hard work, Discipline in behaviour, hard working, honest, aspiring … could be my strength. Some are in-born and some are practiced...

But these are not unique qualities. Not convincing also. So I have to identify a unique strength.
If I were always studious, If I were always hard working, If I were always disciplined, If I were always honest and If I were always aspiring … then, it would have been unique.
I have to develop uniqueness by practising them rigourously (Could have been my new year resolution) or or at least I have to develop a unique answer such that it convinces others.

Hmm... I have to think differently… What is my strength?..







No comments: