Monday, January 30, 2006

CONVERSATION Vs ECONOMIC STANDING


“Conversation is inversely proportional to the Economic Standing”. This is a statement by SudhaMurthy (Chair Person of Infosys foundation) in her book “Wise and Otherwise”. She explains that when travel by bus, we quickly get into the conversation with the fellow passengers without any reservation. When we travel by First class on a train or traveling by air, the chances of conversation get reduced dramatically. So “Conversation is inversely proportional to the Economic Standing”.

Why it happens? It happens. It has happened for me. It’s happening for me. I’ll happen for me. All other remains the same, what prevents me to converse freely in a high economic standing area? Exactly I don’t know the reasons for it. Also, I am not able to find any supporting theory also. I just tried to list down the probable reasons.
  • My ego level increases with higher economic standing. I don’t want to hurt my ego in terms of poor response, fault of intruding his/her privacy.
  • I wish to show him/her that I am self-dependent and I have good work to do (which I may not have also)
  • I become more and more cautious in higher economic standing which prevents me to broach with someone who is unknown.
  • I don’t want to show any kind of my ignorance to him/her.
  • I start wearing colored hats and colored glasses. It distorts what I communicate to others and what I perceive of others.
  • Suddenly, I start valuing someone’s personal values greatly.
  • Wise people talk less!!! I might have wrongly misconstrued this statement.

Still, I have not found out why all the above changes happen to me in a “high economic standing area”. If anyone knows that please let me know.

No comments: