Saturday, March 18, 2006

Rejuvenating India- My first Visit to India as NRI

Last week, I visited India for my engagement. My first visit after 80 days stays in Saudi Arabia. The trip was so rejuvenating. Here, I have tried to explore why the trip was so rejuvenating to me.

I landed in Chennai Airport. Never, I have felt so patriotic about India like that. I took a deep breathe. I could smell the pollution. Still, I enjoyed. It’s the air of freedom. I understood the meaning of freedom when, I relocated out of India. Why not put all the Indians in Saudi Arabia for a period of six months. It may improve the respect for the country on everyone's minds!

It's a journey from desperation to cheerfulness. Desperation is not only due to second citizenship but also due to shorter circle of social life. We trim our boundaries to fit into local cultures and policies. Deep rooted cultures, religious fervor, dissimilar languages and distinctive nationalism creates visible barriers to mingle with the locale. This forces us to imitate Indian life in foreign land. It's like Eating India, Drinking India and Sleeping India but Living in Saudi Arabia. Some calls it as adapting to the new way of life. But I say, it’s trading our supremacy, our ego, our values and our rights for money.

India brought me back my supremacy. The given-up ego had taken back its seat within me. Because, I had reached the land where I am as equal as anyone! No one could discriminate me in India. Even though they discriminate, it would be done by fellow Indian, for the favor of fellow Indians. The crude joy of Nationalism filled into my mind.

Suddenly after three months, every minute started counting for me. The slow life in the fast lanes changed to fast life in slow lanes. I was occupied fully. The proximity to the near and dears, the inexpensive air time charges retrieved me from seclusion. Also, the salary in dollar had given enough m-power to play around with mindless shopping, relentless parties and first class traveling. As such it gave me a feeling that I earned that 80 days to enjoy the 7 days in India. But the reality is the payment in dollars not only has bought my brain and hands, but also has taken my heart for free.

Now you could understand why the trip was so rejuvenating for me.

No comments: